Monday, October 31, 2011

Hixson Award

The Hixson award, for me, is my gateway to the future. It is the biggest help I have in paying for college. As a high school senior, I knew I had to pay for college on my own so I had to get a scholarship.

The Hixson award, I happened to find by chance. It was the only scholarship I wrote an application for. I thought I had virtually no chance of winning. I am from Polk county so just the shear number of students that could be trying for the scholarship as well is enormous.

After I filled out my application I was already acting like I won. I factored in how much the scholarship would give me when I was thinking about financial aid. This was not smart since I could have easily not won and then been unprepared. When I found out I had indeed won, it was a huge relief.

This opportunity I have been given is significant because it will help me lighten my financial load over the next several years. Especially since I want to become a veterinarian and that takes 4 more years of schooling. If I can get my undergraduate degree with minimal financial debt, that will put me in a good position to be successful later in life.

The Hixson award has made it possible for me to go to college and not have overwhelming debt. It has taught me about myself and that I can be successful. For that, I am thankful.

4 comments:

  1. The Hixson award has also helped me financially. The scholarship will save money for me and my parents. It's great that you were selected for the scholarship especially since you are from Polk county.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree the Hixson award is a huge relief. When I applied I assumed I wouldn't get it either. When I found out I had gotten it I told almost everyone because I was so amazed at the amount. I hope vet school goes well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also didn't think I would get it, but it was also such a huge relief when I got it. I hope this can really help you and good luck with Vet school!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everyone else as well. The award gave me such a huge relief and that it was so much!

    ReplyDelete