Monday, October 24, 2011

Social Media

To me, social media is just the latest trend in the technology explosion.

I remember when Myspace was "cool." It was THE thing to have. I had one, more because everyone else did than anything. Some of my friends would check their Myspace page 5 or 6 times per day. I didn't like having one much, but without it, I felt out of the loop.

That's exactly the same way it is today. The big one is Facebook. If someone says they don't have a Facebook account, they are viewed as not up to date and a little strange. I have a Facebook. I've had it since 2008. I don't really feel like it is anything more than a way for young people to socialize. I don't use it often.

I do not like how we are told that these social networking sites are the future way for potential employers to find background information on a person. Facebook is not a professional tool used to judge someone. I would much rather have an employer ask to set up an interview than post on my wall or like my recent status update.

Most businesses now advertise "Like us on Facebook" or some other pseudo-creative way of saying to look them up. I think it is a good way for small companies to get their name out and build up a reputation, but most large companies like Subway or Disney World or Chevrolet don't need a Facebook page. I know there are people out there that love to get updates about how Subway is offering a new type of light mayonnaise, but for the majority, the business takes care of itself and I personally find all of this obnoxious advertising annoying.

Too much emphasis is put on social networking. Updating statuses, posting pictures, liking comments, playing games. All of these things are wastes of time. Get off the computer and get back to work! I have a sociology class of 372 people. A significant portion of these students bring laptops to class and spend all the time on Facebook or Twitter. Then they complain how the teacher sucks and that they get bad test scores. Bottom line, the class is easy. Take notes, get off the social networking sites and pay attention. A lot of people would say driving is difficult too when you can't see the road.

That's all.

4 comments:

  1. I do not think people should be using social media during class either because it takes away from their learning. I do not like listening to people talking about bad grades when they do not try in class either. Social media is okay at the appropriate time, but not during class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree social networking is a waste of time and that there are better things to do with our time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think social media needs to be used in moderation. you think your friends checking myspace 5 times per day is bad but i know people who post statuses on facebook almost hourly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though I really like facebook, I can see your side of it too. I feel that facebook has a lot more potential to it than most people see. There are some people who tend to over use it, though.

    ReplyDelete